Tips on how to leverage relationships in a positive way.
1. Develop Partnerships with those you want to leverage to achieve common goals. The best first impression, is one that is mutually beneficial.
2. Lay your desires on the table. You have to understand that a person of influence did not become one over night and has more experience than you may know. That person may already know your intentions before you shake their hand or smile in their face so be honest with your objectives.
3. Show gratitude. If you experience gain, make sure to create opportunities to pour back into those you leverage. It is an ongoing cycle of business. Replenish your relationship and create a bond that will stand the test of time by sharing. Remember relationships are valuable and are not one sided.
4. Establish the value. Most people think inward instead of forward. It would be wise of you to know what it is you can offer someone of influence before sharing your objective. Also weigh the pros and cons of your relationships, and think of even exchanges. Whether it involves time or money, value is what professionals desire.
5. Become the Assistant. To become someone's assistant takes an enormous amount of trust from the person you are assisting. You will have to devote time into building this trust, however the rewards can out way the time spent asserting yourself. Becoming a great Assistant will work in your favor in terms of new leads, contacts, and opportunities that would not normally be in your favor. However, people love who they love so make sure you address your new leads the honorable way.
6. Do not create Conflict of Interest. Usually issues with COI arise when a you make aggressive business moves in the same area of business that your business associates are in. If you are partnering or assisting, Pace yourself so that you are not diminishing the character of the person you are working with or assisting. The last thing a person of influence wants are people around them who makes them look unprofessional by association. You will not be able to leverage relationship if your creating conflict of interest scenarios.
7. Be mindful of their objectives, and work as a team to achieve those goals. Remember everyone has something that they want to achieve so if you desire to leverage them it is a good idea to help them achieve what they desire.
8. Acknowledgement. Once you've achieved your desire by leveraging your relationships, thank them. At times, a simple thank you and acknowledgement can go a long way. This alone could help establish on going business relationships with people of influence.
My final thought, for everyone you know there are a hundred others that know them so be respectful when leveraging relationships. There are a lot more tips from which this came. If you like to learn more continue to express your interest and leave a comment.